Who can apply to be an intervener?

Anyone with an interest in the adult can apply to the sheriff court for an order. This could be:

  • a family member,
  • a carer of the adult,
  • a professional person (solicitor, accountant, etc.)
  • the local authority

Several people can be involved in the application process. An application can be made to appoint more than 1 intervener. It is possible for the applicant and the intervener to be different people. For example, you may be willing to be appointed under the intervention order but you may prefer the local authority to carry out the technical business of applying for the order, obtaining the necessary reports, and appearing before the Sheriff. It should be noted that this would be at the discretion of the local authority.