Where to get more help

There will be times where we will not be able to help with your enquiry, e.g. welfare, health or legal advice, however there are other organisations and agencies that may be able to provide you with the advice you need. We have provided a number of links to relevant websites below:

Local authorities

  • COSLA - the national voice for local government in Scotland


  • Law Society of Scotland – is the professional body for Scottish solicitors. All practising solicitors are members of the Society.
  • Scottish Legal Aid Board – administers legal aid, which is help towards the costs of legal advice and representation, for those who qualify, paid for out of public funds. It is designed to help individuals on low and modest incomes gain access to the legal system.
  • Scottish Law Online – is a web portal for professionals and members of the public who are interested in Scots Law.
  • Equality and Human Rights Commission – has a statutory remit to promote and monitor human rights; and to protect, enforce and promote equality across the nine “protected” grounds.

Mental health


  • Care Inspectorate – regulates, inspects and supports the improvement of care, social work and child protection services for the benefit of the people who use them.
  • Registers of Scotland – is Scotland’s official land and property registers.
  • Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service – provides administrative support to Scottish Courts and to the judiciary of those courts, including the High Court of Justiciary, Court of Session, sheriff courts and justice of the peace courts,Tribunals Service and to the Office of the Public Guardian and Accountant of Court.
  • Scottish Government – Adults with Incapacity Section – provides information for public and professionals about the Adults with Incapacity (Scotland) Act 2000.
  • The Office of the Public Guardian (England and Wales) – is an agency with responsibilities that extend across England and Wales.

Advice and guidance