How to apply?

You will need to complete our application form. You will normally be required to submit supporting evidence such as bills/invoices for the amounts being requested in the application. It is necessary for the application to be countersigned by a person who has known the applicant for at least 1 year prior to the date of your application. The person who countersigns is confirming that the information in the application is true, and that you are a fit and proper person to access the adult’s funds. The application must be sent to us within 14 days of the person countersigning the application.

In addition to the above, the application form needs to be accompanied by a medical certificate. A registered and licensed medical practitioner, such as a GP or a specialist in a mental disorder may complete the statutory certificate. This is required to confirm the adult is incapable of making decisions about, or acting to safeguard, their funds. The application, medical certificate and our fee should all be sent to us at the same time.

A worked example of a completed application is available for information. Contact us if you need any further assistance in completing the form.

Can more than 1 person apply?

It is possible for more than 1 person to be given the authority i.e. you can apply to act jointly with someone else. It is also possible to appoint a substitute, who can take over the authority if you are not able to do so.

When making your application, make sure:

  • you enclose the correct fee with the application.
  • the adult has an account in their sole name.
  • the application is submitted within 14 days of countersignature.
  • the correct medical certificate is attached to the application.
  • the sums requested add up to the total shown and the frequency is clear.
  • the applicant and countersignatory have initialled any changes made to the form.
  • any request for a lump sum payment is supported and evidenced by invoice/receipts.

What happens after I submit my application?

When we receive the application we will check it over and look at any supporting information you have provided. We will contact you if we need any further clarification or evidence. Once we are satisfied with the application we have a responsibility to send a copy of this to the adult and interested parties. This gives the interested parties an opportunity to consider the terms of the application and tell us if they wish to object. Objections must be made in writing to us within 21 days. If there are no objections we will issue a certificate of authority.

If an objection is made we will let you know and will make further enquiries to gather information before coming to a decision. If we intend to refuse your application we will advise you in writing and let you know the time period to object to our proposed refusal.

Why would I object to an application?

The Public Guardian is required to give notification of the application to interested parties including the adult. Those notified have the right to object to the application.

There are a number of reasons why you might object, e.g.

  • you might think the individual who has applied is not a suitable person or you know that the adult is capable of managing his or her own financial affairs.
  • the amounts being asked for in the application form are not realistic.
  • there may be another less intrusive way of managing the adult’s money or you might consider that the arrangements already in place meet the adult’s needs satisfactorily.
  • You may be aware of the adult’s past or present wishes about how their finances are managed and want them to be taken into consideration by the Public Guardian.